“The earth is the Lord’s and all that is in it,
the world, and those who live in it,
for God has founded it on the seas
and established it on the rivers.”
Psalm 24: 1-2
Care for Creation
Care for Creation is Lakewood UCC’s promise to our relationship with our incredible planet to work together to tackle issues of climate change, sustainability, and eco-justice in our own lives, in our neighborhoods, and around the world. Care for Creation is a committee focused on environmental justice, education, and advocacy within the congregation, the state, and the country. Anyone and Everyone are welcome!
Covenant to Care for Creation
Lakewood United Church of Christ
We, as members and friends of Lakewood United Church of Christ in Lakewood, Colorado:
• Affirm the divine gifts of creation;
• Affirm our connection to God, each other, all living creatures, the world around us, and those who come after us;
• Acknowledge that abuses of creation inevitably cause suffering;
• And further acknowledge that some persons suffer more than others based on factors such as race, class, and global inequality.
We, therefore, commit ourselves to the intertwined responsibilities of caring for creation and seeking justice for the oppressed:
• With an attitude of humility and an urgent sense of calling,
• And as individuals and as a congregation.
Further, we desire that our commitments make good on our covenant promise with God, the Holy Spirit, and all of Creation:
• Be reflected in all the dimensions of our congregation’s life,
• And be extended beyond the walls of this church.
To that end, we covenant with God and one another to:
• Seek the guidance of God, the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and the example of Jesus as we embrace and live out our call;
• Incorporate respect for the natural environment, in discernment with the Spirit, into all of our activities;
• Demonstrate reverence for and practice harmonious interactions with all members and sectors of the global ecosystem;
• Examine our personal and congregational choices to determine where change is needed;
• Work with partners who share our commitments to seek justice and care for creation;
• Remain mindful of God’s promise of abundant life to future generations;
• And, therefore, we strive to live lightly and in harmony with God’s creation; working to mitigate present harm.
Original version Approved by Lakewood UCC Congregation 1/28/18
Revision Approved by Congregation 6/12/22